Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Arcade machine, part 1

First blogpost, woohoo!

Right, I've been working on a little project the last couple of weeks and I just really enjoy working on it.
So far, the idea is to make a top half of an arcade machine or a bar top arcade machine, without coin slots.
An image to show what I'm yapping about:
I'm roughly going to use these construction plans, a few adjustments here and there to fit my needs. :)

Goodies!
I've ordered and received (original) buttons, a joystick and an interface - to connect the buttons and the joystick to - along with a pair of cheap speakers and a little amplifier, to build into the cabinet.
Pictures will be made and uploaded whenever I get the chance, but for now I'll have to settle for Google images. :P
6 of these red pretties, and a pair of white ones (the clicking sound is really cool!)

The joystick I ordered looks similar, but not identical

The buttons and the joystick will eventually link to this interface, it's called an I-Pac 2 :)

The software I'm going to use is MAME, with Mala as it's front-end.
MAME is really easy to setup and so is Mala!
I will be running the PC off Windows XP (for now).
Ideally I want the computer to not show the boot screen and go straight into MAME/Mala, so it acts like an actual arcade machine, rather than a PC emulating an arcade. :)

Todo:
Make a todo list, I still haven't after having worked on it for 2-3 weeks.

That is it for now, as I wrote I will make pictures later. :)

-LENJ

20 comments:

  1. That's really really cool. Hope to see lots of snaps of all the stages of production!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i'm interested in your project and want to keep track on the progress.. but i can't follow you :'C

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just did make a todo list mate :)). Well good luck with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's absolutly awesome, keep us posted ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol nice! How does it look like it once finished?
    Love MAME and Metal slug collection :DD

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Alex Devries, I think you should be able to at the top of the site. :o

    Thanks for the comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intesresting stuff, keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sweet, makes me want to go to the arcade now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, that's like a childhood dream, awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck man. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow amazing! nice blog! following!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's awesome and good luck with the blog. Following...

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES! This will be awesome! Looking forward to seeing what you will do for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that looks awesome, what games are you going to put on it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @pho I'm trying to get my hands on most classics like Pacman, Tetris and Centipede. And apart from the classics, I'm also looking at random ROM games on the web. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck post it if it will be done someday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heard you like hardstyle :) awesome well back to your post wow you are great this looks interesting good luck with this +followed

    ReplyDelete